Friday, May 7, 2010

Palaces and parks

 
A few decades ago Beijing was rather flat. Two-storied buildings crowded an urban ocean that touched the horizons. It was a two-ply city. Then it modernized. They launched skyscrapers, spread out highways and built McDonalds. The Great Mall supplanted the Great Wall. But, not wanting historical landmarks to become history (or go unexploited), they preserved the old sites. And so I visited some yesterday: the Forbidden City and The Summer Palace. The Forbidden City was aptly named -- I forbid anyone to waste money on it. I think it's like the Mystery Spot. You only go to say that you've gone. So unless you're a history buff, you'll enjoy the exterior as much as the interior. Do see the Summer Palace.
 
There are parks too, like the one beside my hotel. A large sign welcomes visitors with a complete list of 20 banned activities. Keep this up, and they'll soon be prohibiting prohibitions! They would have done better to list what you CAN do in the park. Once inside, though, it is green, breezy and calm. The wind sets the weeping willows swinging and blows waves through the hairs of grass. It sails over the pond, causing it to bob. This is ideal for writing, so I am. At least I was. Now I am done.